Time Line
Linge de Temps



Significant Dates in Teacher Education in New Brunswick 1783 to 1973


1781-1783: Teachers were generally inexperienced and informally educated during the early years following New Brunswick's establishment as a colony. Until 1837 the licensing of teachers in New Brunswick was the prerogative of the Lord Bishop of London and the Governor of the new province.

1837: The School Act of 1837 established County Boards of Education one of whose duties was to receive applications from persons wishing to obtain parish school licenses.

1842: All previously granted school licenses were cancelled and only persons certified as competent by the County Boards of Education were licensed by the Governor.

1845: A Commission appointed in 1844 to examine school conditions in New Brunswick reported on the generally poor quality of teaching and ultimately led to legislative attempts to improve the situation.

1847: The Act of 1847 included a provision that the Governor and members of the provincial Executive Council would constitute a Board of Education with the power to establish Provincial Training and Model Schools.

1848: On February 10th 1848, the Provincial Normal School was officially opened under the principalship of Joseph Marshall de Brett, second Baron d'Avray. Late in 1848 a training school for teachers in association with a school for the British and Foreign Bible Society under the principalship of E. H. Duval opened in Saint John.

1849: Martha Hamm Lewis was the first woman to be accepted to train as a teacher.

1850: The building housing the Normal School in Fredericton burned down and Saint John became the location for the training of teachers.

1867: A program for the training of teachers in the four northern counties opened in conjunction with the Presbyterian Academy in Chatham under the principalship of W. H. Crocket.

1870: The Training Schools in Saint John and Chatham were closed and Fredericton became the center for the training of teachers in New Brunswick. W. H. Crocket moved to Fredericton to assume the of the Normal School.

1871: With the passage of The Common Schools Act of 1871 the need for teachers increased and the period of training was lengthened to five months.

1877: On August 14th a newly constructed Normal School building was officially opened on the north side of Queen and York Streets in Fredericton.

1880-1881: The annual training session for teachers was increased to nine months.

1883: In May a French Department was established with M. Alphée Belliveau in charge; an earlier Preparatory Department had not proved very successful in training teachers for schools in French-speaking areas.

1900: A room in the Normal School was equipped for the teaching of manual training, which became part of the program for male teachers. A course in domestic science followed for all female teachers.

1904: A special class was formed for the preparation of manual training teachers in New Brunswick.

1910: All graduates of the Normal School were required to hold a certificate in physical training.

1913: A much needed annex to the Normal School building was undertaken to accommodate the Model School and to provide facilities for manual training as well as a gymnasium and drill hall.

1914: In September the Annex opened.

1918: The Government of New Brunswick passed the Vocational Education Act, the purpose of which was to establish vocational education in the Province to be administered by a Vocational Education Board.

1919: The Government of Canada passed the Technical Education Act to promote vocational education across Canada. The New Brunswick Vocational Education Board moved quickly to establish vocational education by setting up an office and naming Dr. Fletcher Peacock as its director and secretary for the purpose of organizing a Vocational Education Branch; this Branch was to prepare for the school year 1919-1920. Interim plans to provide vocational teachers included conducting summer schools, the first of which (for Home Economics teachers) was held at the Normal School from July 3rd to August 6th.

1920: Between 1920 and 1929 summer school courses for Home Economics teachers were offered in a different center each year (1926 being at Mount Allison University). Summer school courses for Commercial teachers were offered in 1921 (Fredericton) and Saint John (1926 and 1928). They were offered for Industrial teachers in 1921 (Fredericton) and 1928 (Saint John). No summer schools in vocational areas were offered in 1930. They were held again in 1931 in Saint John for all three vocational areas, but they were not offered again until 1937 when summer school for vocational teachers merged with the provincial Department of Education professional summer school in Saint John. In 1938 and 1939 departmental summer schools in Saint John brought vocational and academic teachers together. In 1941 and 1943 43 Home Economics teachers attended a summer school in Truro, N.S.

1928: By this date Mount Allison University and the University of New Brunswick offered summer school courses that allowed for the academic upgrading of teachers.

1929: In May the Provincial Normal School building was partially destroyed by fire.

1931: On December 10th a new Normal School building was officially opened.

1933-1934: All examinations for teachers' licenses were now to be set and marked by the principal and staff of the Normal School.

1933-1934: Normal School instructors were to be responsible for discussing and demonstrating methods relating to their subjects.

1936-1937: As an experiment 14 student teachers spent one week in a rural school for observation purposes.

1937: Organized by Dr. Fletcher Peacock, academic as well as vocational teachers (referred to in entry for 1920 above) attended the professional Department of Education Summer School organized in Saint John.

1940-1941: This year was the last one for the French Department as a separate entity. French-speaking students were enrolled in regular classes after that date.

1946: A two-year teacher training program in Home Economics was organized by Rheta Inch at the Saint John Vocational School. A two-year course for Industrial Arts teachers was established at the Millidgeville Rehabilitation Center; it was part of the Canadian Vocational Training Program for war veterans. It came under the direction of W. B. Thompson when it was moved to Moncton in January 1949. Beginning in July 1946 two classes of students were to be accepted at the Normal School with classes beginning in July and one in January.

1947: The name of the Normal School was changed to Teachers College in April 1947.

1948: In May an agreement was made between the provincial Department of Education and the Universities of Mount Allison, New Brunswick and St. Joseph whereby their summer school courses could count as credits for the purpose of licensing.

1949: The policy of accelerated classes at the Teachers College was discontinued as of June 30th.

1953: The Home Economics teacher education program was transferred to the New Brunswick Teachers College in Fredericton, remaining there until 1973 when it became part of the newly expanded University of New Brunswick Faculty of Education.

1954-1955: The Bachelor of Teaching degree was established.

1959: A two-year program for the training of secondary teachers was established.

1959-1960: A two-year program for Commercial teachers was established at the New Brunswick Technical Institute (later the New Brunswick Institute of Technology) under the direction of Margaret Macdougall.

1962: In September all teacher education programs were to be of two years in duration - the exception being the one-year unit shop course at the New Brunswick Technical Institute.

1964: In September the new teacher education building on the University of New Brunswick campus (later named d'Avray Hall) was opened.

1968: The Ecole Normale opened in Moncton under the principalship of Yvan Albert.

1970: A two-year business education program for French-speaking teachers was established at the New Brunswick Institute of Technology.

1973: Teacher education programs were transferred to the Universities of Moncton and New Brunswick with four-year programs being instituted.


In the preparation of this list of significant dates in teacher education two works were extensively consulted:

MacNaughton, Katherine F.C. (1947). The Development of the Theory and Practice of Education New Brunswick: 1784-1900. Fredericton, N.B.: University of New Brunswick Historical Studies. No. 1.

Picot, J. E. (1947). A Brief History of Teacher Training in New Brunswick: 1848-1974. Fredericton, N.B.: The Department of Education.


Evenements Importants Concernant L'Education Et Le Travail Des Enseignants Et Enseignantes Au Nouveau-Brunswick: 1783-1973


1784-1837: Jusqu'a 1837, seuls l'évêque de Londres et le gouverneur de la nouvelle province avaient la fonction exclusive d’octroyer des brevets d’enseignement au Nouveau-Brunswick.

1802: La loi scolaire de 1802 instaura un cadre très élémentaire pour l’administration des écoles du Nouveau-Brunswick.

1837: La loi scolaire de 1837 institua des commissions scolaires pour les comtes. Un des devoirs de ces commissions était de recevoir les demandes des personnes désireuses d’obtenir des brevets d’enseignement.

1845: Une commission fut désignée en 1844 pour inspecter les conditions des écoles dans la province. Cette commission fit un rapport sur la mauvaise qualité de l’enseignement de façon générale, ce qui amena finalement la législation à améliorer la situation.

1847: La loi de 1847 comprenait une clause que le gouverneur et les membres du Conseil exécutif de la province constitueraient un Conseil d’éducation. Ce dernier pouvait établir des écoles normales de formation et des écoles-pilotes.

1848: Le 10 février, l’école normale de la province fut officiellement ouverte à Fredericton, sous la direction de Joseph Marshall de Brett, seconde Baron d’Avray. Vers la fin de 1848, en collaboration avec "The British and Foreign Bible Society", une école de formation pour instituteurs fut ouverte à Saint-Jean, sous la direction d’E.H. Duval.

1849: Martha Hamm Lewis fut la première femme admise à recevoir une formation d’enseignante.

1850: L’édifice de l’école normale à Fredericton brula et Saint-Jean devint le lieu de formation des enseignants et enseignantes.

1852: Le bureau du superintendant principal du Nouveau-Brunswick fut établi et un inspecteur fut nomme pour chaque comte.

1867: Un programme de formation pour enseignants et enseignantes dans les quatre comtes du Nord du Nouveau-Brunswick commença parallèlement avec "The Presbyterian Academy" à Chatham, sous la direction de W.H. Crocket

1870: Les écoles de formation des enseignants et enseignantes à Saint-Jean et à Chatham furent fermées, et Fredericton devint le centre de formation des enseignants et enseignantes du Nouveau-Brunswick. W.H. déménagea à Fredericton pour devenir directeur de cette école.

1871: Un plus grand besoin d’enseignants et enseignantes s’avéra nécessaire par l’adoption de la loi écoles publiques en 1871 (The Common Schools Acts. La période de formation fut prolongée jusqu'à cinq mois.

1877: Le 14 aout, un nouvel édifice pour l’école normale fut officiellement construit du cote nord des rues Queen et York.

1880-1881: La durée de formation des enseignants et enseignantes fut augmentée pour une période de neuf mois.

1883: En mais, un département français pour la formation des enseignants et enseignantes fut ouvert. Alphée Belliveau en fut nomme responsable. Un département existait déjà en 1879, mais le projet pour former des enseignants et enseignantes dans les régions francophones n’eut pas trop de succès.

1898: Le Conseil d’éducation décida d’intensifier l’enseignement théorique et pratique.

1900: A l’école normale, une salle fut équipe pour enseigner les différentes matières de travaux manuels, qui étaient des cours obligatoires pour tous les enseignants. Ensuite, un cours en économie domestique fut organise pour les enseignantes.

1904: Un programme spécial de travaux manuels fut donne aux enseignants et enseignantes au Nouveau-Brunswick.

1910: Tous les diplômes – femmes et hommes – de l’école devaient obtenir un certificat en éducation physique.

1913: Il fut indispensable d’agrandir l’école normale. Par conséquent, une annexe fut ajoute à l’école-pilote pour faciliter l’enseignement des travaux manuels, mais aussi un gymnase et une grande salle.

1914: L’annexe fut ouverte en septembre.

1916: Les inscriptions à l’école normale diminuèrent parce que les étudiants s’engagèrent dans l’armée, dans les services administratifs ou en tant qu’infirmières.

1918: Le Gouvernement du Nouveau-Brunswick adopta la loi "Vocational Education Act" pour établir dans la province l’éducation professionnelle administrée par un "Education Board".

1919 : Le Gouvernement du Canada adopta la loi "Technical Education Act" pour promouvoir l’éducation professionnelle à travers le Canada. Le "Vocational Education Board" du Nouveau-Brunswick établit rapidement un bureau de formation professionnelle, et nomma Dr. Fletcher Peacock en tant qu’administrateur. Ce dernier devait créer une agence de formation professionnelle dont l’un des objectifs fut de préparer l’année scolaire 1919-1920. Entre temps, des cours d’été en formation professionnellement furent offerts aux enseignants et enseignantes. Le premier cours (économie domestique) eut lieu à l’école normale du 3 juillet au 6 aout.

1920: Entre 1920 et 1929 des cours d’été en économie domestique furent offerts aux enseignants dans différents centres chaque année. Des cours d’été pour les enseignants et enseignantes spécialises en commerce furent offertes en 1921 (Fredericton) et en 1928 (Saint-Jean), puis des cours de formation technique en 1921 (Fredericton) ensuite 1926 et 1928 (Saint-Jean). Mais aucun professionnel ne fut offert en été 1930. Ces trois matières furent données à Saint-Jean en 1931. Mais quand les écoles d’été pour enseignants et enseignantes professionnels fusionnèrent avec le Ministère de l’éducation de la province, ces cours furent offerts qu’en été 1937 à Saint-Jean. En 1938 et 1939 le service des cours d’été à Saint-Jean rassembla de nouveau les enseignants et enseignantes professionnels et académiques. En 1941 et 1943 les enseignants en économie domestique participèrent à un cours d’été à Truro, N-E.

1923: Apres la première guerre mondiale, l’inscription des étudiants et étudiantes a’ école normale augmenta rapidement. Cette année le nombre d’inscription fut limite à 400 étudiants et étudiantes.

1928: Depuis un certain temps, les universités de Mount Allison et du Nouveau-Brunswick offraient aux enseignants et enseignantes des cours d’été afin augmenter leurs connaissances académiques.

1929: L’édifice de l’école normale brula en mai, à l’exception de l’annexe.

1930: Au cours des années 1930, l’université de Saint-Joseph commença à donner des cours d’été.

1931: Le 10 décembre, un nouvel édifice pour l’école normale fut ouvert officiellement.

1933-1934: La faculté de l’école normale était responsable du développement et de la préparation des méthodes relatives aux sujets d’enseignement.

1934: Tous les examens de brevets des enseignants et enseignantes eurent lieu à l’école normale et furent notes par le directeur et la faculté.

1936: L’honorable A.P. Patterson devint le Premier ministre d’éducation du Nouveau-Brunswick. Une des premières décisions de Patterson fut de nommer Dr. Peacock, qui était directeur de l’école professionnelle de Saint-Jean, au poste du directeur des services d’éducation du Nouveau-Brunswick.

1936-37: A titre d’expérience et a des fins d’observation, 14 étudiants et étudiantes passèrent une semaine dans une école rurale.

1940-1941: Ce fut la dernière année pour le département français d’être une entité séparée. Apres cette date, les étudiants et étudiantes francophones s’inscrivirent dans les classes régulières.

1942: Vu le surplus d’enseignants et enseignantes en 1926, les étudiants pouvaient de nouveau obtenir des prêts financiers afin de compenser les effets néfastes qu’avinait la guerre sur le déclin d’inscription.

1946: Une programme de deux ans en économie domestique fut organise par Rhéta Inch pour enseignantes a Saint-Jean. De même, un programme de deux ans pour former des enseignants en arts industriels fut organise au centre de réadaptions de Millidgeville. Ce fut un programme de formation pour les anciens combattants canadiens âpres la seconde guerre mondiale. W.B. Thompson devint le directeur de ce programme lorsqu’il fut ouvert à Moncton en janvier 1949. Au début de juillet, deux classes d’étudiants et étudiantes commencèrent à l’école normale : l’une en juillet et une autre en janvier.

1947: En avril, le nom de l’école normale changea et devint "New Brunswick Teachers College".

1948: En mai, le Département de l’éducation du Nouveau-Brunswick conclut un accord avec les universités de Mount Allison, du Nouveau-Brunswick et de Saint-Joseph pour accepter les cours d’été comme des crédits dans l’obtention du brevet d’enseignement.

1949: Le principe des classes accélérées fut instaure.

1953: Le programme en économie domestique pour les enseignantes fut transfère a l’école normale Fredericton jusqu'à 1973. Il fut ensuite introduit dans le programme de la faculté d’éducation de l’Université du Nouveau-Brunswick, récemment agrandie.

1954-55: Le baccalauréat en enseignement fut instaure.

1959: Un programme de deux ans pour la formation des enseignants et enseignantes du secondaire fut établi.

1959-1960: Sous la direction de Margaret Macdougall, un programme de commerce d’une durée de deux ans pour la formation des enseignants et enseignantes fut introduit au "New Brunswick Technical Institute" (qui devint plus tard "New Brunswick Institute of Technology" à Moncton.

1962: Tous les programmes pour la formation des enseignants et enseignants devaient durer deux ans – a l’exception du programme de formation de la programme pour le cours de « unit-shop » enseignants Moncton dura un an.

1964: En septembre, un nouvel édifice pour la formation des enseignants et enseignantes (qui devint plus tard "Marshall d'Avray Hall" sur le campus de l’Université du Nouveau-Brunswick fut construit.

1968: On ouvrit une école normale à Moncton et Yvan Albert devint le directeur.

1970: Un programme de deux ans destine à la formation des enseignants et enseignantes francophones fut établies au "New Brunswick Institute of Technology".

1973: Les programmes de formation des enseignants et enseignantes fut transfères aux universités de Moncton et du Nouveau-Brunswick.